How to apply mascara perfectly every time so you can have longer, thicker and darker eyelashes in 3 steps and in just a few minutes!
Here are a few more beauty + fashion tutorials we think you’ll enjoy – Favorite Face Products, Flat Iron Curls, and Necklace Guide + Styling Tips.
You can make your lashes longer, thicker and darker in just a few extra minutes by applying mascara. It is the best (and EASIEST!) way to draw attention to your eyes- but it can also draw attention to the flaws if not done right. Today we want to share our best tips on how to apply mascara for busy moms and get rid of the clumps, smudges, spider lashes, and raccoon eyes once and for all!
How To Apply Mascara The Easy Way
Step 1: Apply Eyeliner
(I took the picture above after my mascara was already on, but this really should be the first step!)
- Add a thin line of liner on your eyelid as close to your lash line as you can get.
- Lift your eyelid with one finger so that you have access to the underside of your lashes – the part where your lash line meets your tears. Fill in this space with more eyeliner so you don’t see any flesh when your eyelid is down.
Step 2 isn’t very common, but it makes SUCH a difference! It will make your lash line look so natural and full!
Step 2: Curl Your Lashes
- Place your lash curler close to your eyelid at the base of your upper lashes with lashes in between the curler pads.
- Press pads together, making sure your eyelid is not caught in the pads. Hold firmly and count to five, then release.
- Repeat on the middle of your lashes and once more near the tips.
- Repeat these steps on the other eye.
- Touch up any eyeliner that was removed during this step.
- Never curl your lower lashes.
- Do not curl your eyelashes after you’ve applied mascara. If they stick to the curler pad they might get pulled out.
- Heat your lash curler with a blow-dryer before using. This will help your lashes curl easier and stay curled longer.
Step 3: Apply The Mascara
- Start at the base of your lashes and move back and forth a few times before moving to the tips in a light, upward motion.
- Put a coat of mascara on both sides of your lashes to thicken them, then repeat this process with your other eye.
- Optional: Dust translucent baby powder over your eyelashes with an eyebrow brush to make them even thicker.
- Repeat steps 1 & 2, adding a second coat to both sides of your lashes.
- Never pump the wand up and down inside the tube. This will add air and dry it out. Instead, use a circular, swirling motion to coat the wand before application.
- If you put too much mascara on the tips of your lashes, it will make them straight and look weighed down. Avoid this by applying a thicker coat of mascara at the base and a lighter one toward the tips.
- Use little or no mascara on lower lashes.
- You can hold the brush at a horizontal angle if you want thick lashes, or turn at a vertical angle for a less dramatic look.
- Hold a business card underneath your eye or on your eyelid when applying mascara to avoid getting marks on your skin.
Step 4: Touch Up
- If you happen to still get clumps, use a clean toothbrush to comb through your lashes and remove the extra product and clumps.
- If you get mascara on your eyelid, let it dry. Then, use a Q-Tip (wet or dry) and lightly dab the spot until it is gone. Trying to dab the spot while still wet will just smear it and make it worse.
More Mascara Tips:
- If your mascara is thick, clumpy or flaky, try…
- Soaking it in a cup of hot water for a minute.
- Add a few drops of saline solution to the tube
- If your mascara smells funny or is more than three months old, get rid of it.
- THIS is my favorite mascara! It’s available in waterproof and regular, as well as different shades of black and brown.
Other Great Beauty Ideas
Flawless eyes are within your reach- just put these tips to use and start practicing!
Leave a Reply