Turn a simple baby necessity into something fun and cute for the new mom! Here’s how to make a diaper cake in a few easy steps.
If you love this crafty diaper cake idea for a shower gift, here are a few more shower gift ideas that are easy to make – Handmade Baby Shower Gift For Girls, Creative Baby Shower Gift Wrapping Ideas, and Baby Shower Gift For Twins.
Diaper Cake Gift Idea
Not only are diaper cakes a perfect baby shower gift, but they also make awesome centerpieces at a baby shower too! They are completely customizable and totally practical – what new mom wouldn’t LOVE more diapers, right?! The instructions below are to make the specific cake I made, but feel free to change anything and customize it to your liking. 🙂
Diaper Cake Tutorial
Now that you’ve seen the video tutorial, here is a list of the supplies you’ll need as well as step by step instructions to make your own.
- rubber bands
- scrapbook paper
- scissors and/or paper cutter
- wood dowel/skewer
- silk flower
- embellishments and glue, optional
- Begin by rolling each diaper and secure with a rubber band.
- Cut a piece of elastic that will stretch to the size of the circle you want for your base. Tie the elastic in a knot. Then start putting diapers in the elastic circle and filling it up. Repeat for the middle and top tiers.
- Cut strips of scrapbook paper to go around the tiers and secure them with a piece of tape.
- Add ribbon around each layer and any embellishments you’d like.
- Stack each layer on top of one another. Secure them together by sticking a couple of dowels into the layers from the top to the bottom.
- For the diaper cake topper, I added a simple silk flower, but I’ve used baby toys and baby supplies that also look really cute! (A yellow rubber ducky is darling!)
The diaper cake is now ready to display or give as an adorable gift for a baby shower!
Isn’t it adorable?!
Addie wanted to get in on the action too –