Having a car emergency kit is a great idea for any driver and it doesn’t have to take up much space. Here’s how to make your own so you’re always prepared when you’re on the go!
As a mom of 5, there have been plenty of times over the years when we’ve needed a bandaid, a tissue, a hair tie, or some other obscure item while out and about or traveling away from home.
This easy Car Emergency Kit has been used more times than I can count, and it has saved us from disaster time and time again!
Here’s how to make one for your car –
How to Make a Car Emergency Kit
MATERIALS NEEDED –
- small containers: I organized our card games with these 4×6 photo holders and realized that a small stack of them fit perfectly in my center console. If your console is too small, I like the idea of using empty pill bottles
- labels: grab our free printable using the form at the end of the post
- tape: for the labels
- emergency supplies: keep reading for some helpful examples
Here are the labels included and ideas on what to include:
- first aid: bandaids, alcohol wipes, Tylenol, aspirin, tweezers, etc.
- spare change: cash and coins
- hairstyle: small comb, elastic hair ties, bobby pins, etc.
- hygiene: feminine products, travel deodorant, nail file, toothpicks, lotion, bug spray repellent, sunscreen, etc.
- sewing: small scissors, needle, thread + button
- tools: small scissors, screwdriver, pliers, wrench, measuring tape, extra batteries, etc.
- tech gear: cell phone charger, batteries, etc.
- office: Post-It Notes, pens, adhesive tape, etc.
- Gather your supplies.
- Tape a label to your container
- Place it in your car
- … and that’s it!
I store my photo holders in my center console standing straight up with the label on top so I can easily grab what I need. It’s nice having all these items neatly stored just in case we need them!
Helpful Items in a Car Emergency Kit
Obviously not everything you need in the case of roadside emergencies fits in a tiny plastic container! Here are a few more things to for a roadside emergency kit to pack in the trunk of your car:
- spare tire
- jumper cables
- tripod jack
- rain poncho
- tow strap
- pocket knife
- tire pressure gauge
- ice scraper
- rag or towel
- foldable shovel
- first aid kit with bigger bandages, antibiotic ointment, antiseptic wipes, and gauze
- emergency blanket
- paper towels
- lug wrench
- granola bars or small snacks
WE HAVE 3 VERSIONS OF LABELS FOR YOU TO DOWNLOAD – A BLACK & WHITE VERSION, A LIGHT COLORED SET, AND A BRIGHT & HAPPY SET. ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS BELOW AND THEN PICK YOUR FAVORITE TO PRINT!